When requesting a repeat prescription please refer to your computer printout of your medication.
To make your request you can either:
- Order online via the SystmOnline link. (This service is only for routine repeat prescriptions, if you require acute medication please order via the surgery)
- Place in the box in reception or post it through the door
- Post it to us enclosing a SAE
- Using Klinik Healthcare Solutions.
If you wish a chemist of your choice to collect/order your prescription, you will need to arrange this with the chemist yourself.
Please allow 2 working days before collecting the prescription from the health centre, or 3 days if you prefer to nominate a local pharmacy collect the dispensed medication from. Some of the pharmacies will provide a home delivery service for housebound and elderly patients.
We want to make prescription re-ordering as accurate, efficient and easy to use as possible and are therefore unable to accept repeat prescription requests by telephone.
This will help to ensure there are no misunderstandings over medication being requested. It will also make our telephone lines more available for patients requesting appointments.
Housebound and infirm patients are still able to request prescriptions by telephone - please contact us for details.
Electronic Prescribing Service
This practice is set up for the electronic prescription service.
This means that for most patients we can send your prescription to your chosen chemist directly saving you having to come down to the surgery.
To get your prescription sent to your chosen pharmacy you will have to ask reception to sign up.
For more information please click here
Help with NHS costs
In England, around 90% of prescription items are dispensed free. This includes exemptions from charging for those on low incomes, such as:
- those on specific benefits or through the NHS Low Income Scheme
- those who are age exempt
- those with certain medical conditions
- More information is available at NHS Choices
These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.15
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £105.90
- 3-month PPC: £29.65
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC.
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.
Medicine Waste Management
Help us to help safeguard our NHS resources
A parliamentary accounts committee has estimated something like £100 million a year is wasted on medicines that never get used. In order to help reduce ongoing wastage, we have changed the length of repeat prescriptions we issue to TWO MONTHS supply at a time only.
Please be reassured that the availability of medication post Brexit is being closely monitored nationally. You are kindly asked not to stockpile your medication as this will create unnecessary stock shortages. Just order your usual quantities as normal. Thank you.
- Unused medicines cannot be recycled. Even if you never open them, once medicines have left the pharmacy or dispensary they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else.
- Unused medicines are a safety risk. Return out of date or unused medicines to a pharmacy for safe disposal. If your medicines change, return your old medicines to the pharmacy to avoid mixing them up with your new ones. Don’t stock pile medication, it is a safety risk for children and others who might take them. Store medicines in an appropriate place out of reach of children
- How can you help? Only order what you need. Let your doctor or pharmacist know if you’ve stopped taking any of your medications. Check what medicines you still have at home before re-ordering. Think before ticking all of the boxes on your repeat prescription form and only tick those you really need. If you don’t need the medicine don’t order it! If you need the medicine in the future you can still request it.